MEMBER LOG IN

MEMBER ID:

PASSWORD:

CLICK HERE IF YOU FORGOT
YOUR ID OR PASSWORD



WWW.CLAN-GRAHAM-SOCIETY.ORG




WEB INFORMATION

LEGAL NOTICE

PRIVACY NOTICE

CONTACT US

 

x
clan graham society


MUGDOCK CASTLE

mugdock castle   mugdock castle

The Mugdock Castle, located 12 miles north of Glasgow, Scotland, was the ancient seat of the Clan Graham between 1372 and 1700. Built around a courtyard, the castle was entered through a gatehouse with a portcullis. The South West Tower has four stories with a single room on each floor. The main entrance to the tower is by external stairs that leads to the Laird’s bedroom. In 1641, the castle was partly destroyed on orders from Parliament, but James Graham lived there until 1644. On the execution of James in 1650, the lands were forfeited to the Marquis of Argyll, Archibald Campbell. In 1655, Mugdock was returned to the Grahams and restored over a two-year period. In 1682, the Grahams bought Buchanan Old House near Drymen, a dwelling more fitting the title of “Marquis” but kept the family official seat at Mugdock for a long period of time.

Now, several centuries later, the castle still stands with the Graham heritage intact with a special room housing historical artifacts and documents with valuable clan and Scottish information. The grounds are now a park, which is one of Scotland’s most popular visitor attractions offering a great countryside experience. Tours, cultural events, recreational activities, corporate functions and private celebrations take place at Mugdock.

To help preserve this important Graham site, donations and fundraising are necessary. Sales from the Mugdock Collection also help with annual maintenance, restoration and refurbishment efforts.

Learn more about the Mugdock Castle by viewing the official web site at http://www.mugdock-country-park.org.uk/.

 

Catalog Collection

The Clan Graham Society is proud to present this specialty catalog* featuring distinctive Scottish heritage items of interest to members.

The purpose of the Mugdock Collection is to develop and distribute unique, high quality Clan Graham Society merchandise that will generate financial support for the Mugdock Castle Restoration Project and the establishment of a Clan Graham Center at Mugdock Castle.

Please be aware that the Mugdock Collection is not a store; space and financial constraints prevent us from carrying a large inventory. Some items are only ordered as requests are received. This can result in delays; however be assured your order will be handled as promptly as possible.

Payment in full for all requests must be made by check, money order or credit card in U.S. dollars at the time of the order. If paying by check, please make it payable to “The Mugdock Collection” and mail to Barbara Warren, the administrator, at the address shown below. We are also able to accept credit cards (MasterCard, Visa, American Express and Discover). If you would like to pay by credit card, please call her at (615) 377-0052.

Please include $7 for shipping and handling. Note that some china orders may have a higher shipping fee depending on the quantity. Be sure to include a full mailing address with your order. For more information, please contact:

Barbara Warren
Mugdock Collection Administrator
1427 Arrowhead Drive
Brentwood, TN 37027
USA

Phone: (615) 377-0052
E-mail: barbara37027@comcast.net

*For best viewing of the catalog (PDF spreads), launch either Acrobat Reader or Preview on the browser menu. Drop-down to View and choose Page Display/PDF Display. Then check Two-Up/Two-Pages Continuous.

 

x

mugdock collection


DOWNLOADS:

Catalog (PDF)

Order Form (Word document)



Other Graham Castles

The Clan Graham is associated with eight other castles listed below.

buchanan castle

 

x

BUCHANAN CASTLE

Built: 1854

Location: West of Drymen Village in Stirlingshire, Scotland

Graham Connection: The 4th Duke of Montrose commissioned William Burn to build this baronial-style manor after the original structure, the ancestral seat of the Clan Buchanan, burned down in 1852 (no Buchanan had lived there). The new building was used to replace Mugdock Castle and still serves as the official seat of the Clan Graham to this day.

claypotts castle

 

CLAYPOTTS CASTLE

Built: Circa 1569-1588

Location: West Ferry area of Dundee, Scotland

Graham Connection: Sir William Graham of Ballunie purchased the medieval castle from the Strachan Family in 1601 and later sold it to Sir William Graham of Claverhouse. When Viscount "Bonnie" Dundee John Graham of Claverhouse died in the Battle of Killicrankie, the castle became the property of the Crown in 1689.

dalkeith castle

 

DALKEITH CASTLE

Built: 1140

Location: Dalkeith, Midlothian, Scotland

Graham Connection: James Graham of Dalkeith, whose family had owned this palatial property for many years, died in 1341 and left no heirs. The castle and lands were passed on to the next of kin, his sister Marjory, who married Sir William Douglas of Lothian, and became the home of the Douglas Family for the next several hundred years.

 

hermitage castle

 

HERMITAGE CASTLE

Built: Circa 1240 through the mid-14th century

Location: Scottish Borders

Graham Connection: The Grahams were among many who once held this castle, as the clan was involved in the disputes of the "debatable lands" of the Solway Firth with the English in the 16th century, building tower houses near Lockerbie and Annan. The fortress was known as "The Strength of Liddesdale" and has a colorful history as "The Guardhouse of the Bloodiest Valley in Britain." Now in semi-ruins, today the castle is under the care of Historic Scotland.

 

inchtalla castle

 

INCHTALLA (TALLA) CASTLE

Built: 17th century (over another site dated to the 14th century)

Location: Isle of Monteith on the Lake of Menteith (Scotland's only lake)

Graham Connection: The official seat of the Grahams, who were the Earls of Menteith, the castle dominates the entire island. The photo is an aerial view of what still remains today.

kilbryde castle

 

KILBRYDE CASTLE

Built: 1460

Location: Dunblane, Central Scotland

Graham Connection: Sir John Graham built this castle on the banks of Ardoch Burn. For more than 200 years, it belonged to Clan Graham under the Earls of Menteith. In 1669, the castle was sold to Sir Colin Campbell and is now the property of the Campbell Family.

© Copyright Martin Addison and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence

 

KINCARDINE CASTLE

Built: 13th or 14th century

Location: Auchterarder in Perth and Kinross, Scotland
(Not to be confused with another Kincardine Castle on the Royal Deeside)

Graham Connection: Sir David de Graham built the earlier castle further up a glen. After the defeat of James Graham, the 1st Marquis of Montrose, who led the Covenanting Forces in the 1640s, his lands were forfeited and the castle was demolished in 1645. All that remains are a few of the foundational stones, some of which were used to build a local church in 1660. Only the tower of that old kirk still stands today with a plaque identifying that it was built from the stones of the castle. Pictured at left are the ruins of the original castle walls.

 

mains castle

 

MAINS (FINTRY) CASTLE

Built: 1652-1582

Location: Fintry, Dundee, Scotland

Graham Connection: Sir David Graham built this castle as the seat of the Grahams of Fintry. In the 19th century, Robert Graham of Fintry sold the lands. A Graham Family mausoleum is located on the opposite side of Gelly Burn. Now part of a public park, the castle is a popular venue for weddings and events.